Monday, July 9, 2012

Poet or Regular Girl

I've wandered around the President's home for a few moments, taking care not to stray too far from Noah's side. The University President, Harry, has spent a lot money on white wine, no doubt his wife's drink. White wine of any kind, is a white woman's drink. But today, I'm just anxious enough to refill my pinot grigio five or six times before I can properly mingle with academia.

"You're Noah's wife, right? And what do you do?" asks a woman, whom I've never met. I smile and clutch my tiny plastic cup.

Does she want the "long of it" or the "short of it?" I'm too ashamed to say that I'm 27, toting a bachelors in English and working at a coffee shop with 19 year old's who tweet while steaming milk. So I say:

"I'm a poet." Fuck. Why have you gone and done that?

Her face lights up. "Lovely!"

Are you published?
Who are your influences?
How would describe your work?
Do you plan to write a book?
You know Toledo has a thriving poetry scene?
Do you preform?

Now, had I'd gone for the former identity, it would have made her terribly uncomfortable. As a tenured Biology professor, she's be shell-shocked by my plainness. What would she have said to such a commoner "Buck up, old girl, you'll find something worthy of your degree!"

Say this were improv class and we were partnered up to preform, oh, I don't know Sheriffs and Bank Robbers. I as "Sheriff," would have fucked the whole thing up if, within 3 seconds, I pulled a fake finger gun and shot her. That's the end of the exercise.

Needless to say, I'm quite drunk by now. I'm trying to keep my eye on her and listen to all the questions she volleys my direction.

Yes, I am published. In a few electronic journals.
I really appreciate the pre-Beat Generation.
I would say my work is the "Common Woman's William Carlos Williams."
I'm thinking about writing a book (friendly but slightly loud laugh inserted here), it's just a matter of getting those darn poems together!
Really, Toledo has poetry? Well, I might need to check that out.
Do I preform? (I pause a little too long before replying)
"All the time."


No comments:

Post a Comment