Tuesday, July 10, 2012

"This destiny which you must accept. . . "


If you've ever doubted your place in the world as an artist (and I do on a daily basis), you should probably listen to this 5 minute recording of James Baldwin explaining the responsibility of the "Poet."

I'll sum it up as quickly as I can, in my own words:
 
Essentially, The Artist's Struggle for Integrity is a metaphor for struggle all humans suffer just surviving on this Earth. These few people that create art, must do what they do because it's their duty. It's "not your fault or my fault that I write." It's just that "I must do it." Baldwin maintains that "Poets" are the only people that know the truth about humanity and that humanity truly ceases to be when we can't produce enough of these "Poets." People live in a darkness and those of us who create "are responsible for lightening" such darkness. And it doesn't matter what becomes of you. It's your JOB. This illumination act could be our only hope. Those few that create, are the only ones who can tell us what it's like to die, to fear, love and be glad. But here's the hook: This creating business, is a completely thankless job. That is, until you make the big leagues. This creating business, that which must be done, will come at a price. The price, Baldwin warns, is the "willingness to give up EVERYTHING." Nothing that you've worked hard for belongs to you. You can only have these "things" if you are able to let them go. Telling the story of humanity will come at a "total risk of everything; of you."

There, how do you feel about that? Do you think I believed my responsibility to humanity was my poem about the squirrel in my backyard? But I often doubt my ability and purpose. Why do I sit here and write these blog post, these poems? Apparently its because I must. This absolute brings me a certain solace that religion brings some people.

It's my JOB. My RESPONSIBILITY. I have risked many things in order to create. There are some days I sacrifice my comfort in order to write. There are other days when I let go of material possessions to write. I picked my profession knowing damn well it would limit my ability to live in a great big house, fly to Tahiti or visit the doctor for an illness.

I do this because I must uncover the human condition for you. Whether you know it or not, you must know what the world is like through the eyes of young black woman. I am here to supply you with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment