Tuesday, August 14, 2012

A Pallbearer for a Dead Poem

The eulogy is short.
I thought I was invited as a spectator.
I expected no audience participation
on my part,
but they asked me to be a pallbearer.
I politely declined.
but they refused my refusal, insisting
that I couldn’t stand on the side lines.
“You murdered the poem, now take it
to its grave.”

No one expects a dead poem to be
so heavy, laden with sour metaphor,
unnecessary dialogue, and lack luster
subjects.
But I lift with the rest, shouldering
the blame, all the while thinking:
“You did this. You even dug the plot.”
My heart is just as heavy during the
slow stumble to the hearse.
But I can't cry.

A murderer cannot cry,
she closes her moleskin and forgets.
And if she has enough gall, she turns
the page and starts the killing all over
with the witless stroke of her pen.

I load it up and shove it away expecting
a thank you for my services.
I am met with silence.

No comments:

Post a Comment