Wednesday, August 1, 2012

"ABC (aka Human Communication), It's Easy as 1, 2, ..."


            “It’s not cool to hate contemporary country music.” So goes the explicit thesis of Chuck Klosterman’s essay “Toby Over Moby,” in his pop-criticism collection Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs. While I don’t know if I can completely agree with his argument (of the small sample of current country music I hear in passing [radio, shopping center background noise, CMT Sunday morning music video flip-throughs, etc.] the overwhelming majority of it seems to promote a consciousness dominated by what many conservatives refer to as the “3-G paradigm” of guns, God, and gays [the first two entities being fervently supported and the last being adamantly opposed]. This paradigm does not lead to me “hating” country music or the people who make it, per se, but it makes me uncomfortable in a way similar to how a vegetarian would feel if (s)he took a part-time job working at a butcher’s shop. It provokes me to accept an attitude of “live and let live, and maybe I’ll even periodically take part in your aesthetic norms while we cohabitate, but when it comes to aligning myself with your tastes, I’ll pass”), Klosterman makes an interesting closing remark that addresses “high-” and “low-” brow art and how it addresses and affects/reflects the intellectual lives of its connoisseurs:

“But whenever I go back to my hometown and see the people I grew up with—many of whom are still living the same life we all had twelve years ago as high school seniors—I realize that I was very much the exception. Lots of people (in fact, most people) do not dream about morphing their current life into something dramatic and cool and metaphoric. Most people see their life as a job that they have to finish; if anything, they want their life to be less complicated than it already is. They want their life to only have one meaning. So when they imagine a better existence, it’s either completely imaginary (i.e., Toby [Keith]’s nineteenth-century Lone Ranger fantasy) or staunchly practical (i.e., [Trisha] Yearwood’s description of the girl who just wants to get married without catching static from her old man). The reason Garth Brooks and Shania Twain have sold roughly 120 million more albums than Bob Dylan and Liz Phair is not because record buyers are all a bunch of blithering idiots; it’s because Garth and Shania are simply better 
at expressing the human condition. They’re less talented, but they understand more people.”         (184)

What fascinates me most about this declaration is not what it says about country music and the people who make and listen to it. In fact, I think this statement has little to nothing to do with music at all. Instead, Klosterman is drawing a philosophical line in the Jersey Shore sand; he’s saying that there are roughly two kinds of people in the world.

  1.     Those who see reality/living/the world as something inherently simple that should be enjoyed and/or toughed out.
  2.      Those who see reality/living/the world as something inherently complex that should be analyzed and/or suffered (and enjoyed if there is any time left over after the analyzing and suffering. And there’s never any time left over [trust me]).

Klosterman uses music to categorize these types of people (People in Group 1 listen to contemporary country, and maybe bluegrass and folk, and maybe Top 40 in their cars. People in Group 2 listen to classical and jazz, and maybe classic and/or progressive rock, and maybe blues while they ride their bikes to work), but who these people are as thinking and feeling human beings is more important to me than what kind of music they listen to in their free time. Klosterman doesn’t give us any hints as to what contributes to the psycho-social makeup of people in Groups 1 and 2, and thus we are left to speculate on our own.
           
I suppose I have to preface my following thoughts by saying that I am a Group 2 person who openly wants to be a Group 1 person. I’ll call myself a Group -2 person (since I’m in Group 2 but don’t find it a positive character trait). For the most part I find reality/living/the world to be incredibly complicated and filled with unforeseeable joys and sorrows, most of which come and go without the input of human beings. I think too much, I overanalyze everything, and, perhaps proving Klosterman a visionary, I like listening to classical and jazz music because their frenetic structures and executions remind me of my thought life. When I listen to country and most popular music, I find myself agitated that more isn’t “getting done”; I find myself reaching the end of a country or pop song and wondering why the artist didn’t leave room in the 3-minute track for an impassioned improvisation. In the end, I suppose I listen to the lovely simplicity of much good country music and quietly think to myself “This is all too good to be true.”

While many contemporary writers and critics (almost all of them undoubtedly Group 2 people), write to bolster the identity and power of Group 2 (and, at the same time, express complete contempt for Group 1), this is not my purpose. Many Group 2 people are intellectual and cultural snobs who think Group 1 people are philistines because they didn’t go to a liberal arts college somewhere on a coast. In short, many Group 2 people think Group 1 people would be Group 2 people if they had more intelligence and/or taste and/or class. I find many Group 2 people (including myself) to be disillusioned, bitter, depressed quasi-narcissists. On the flipside, I find many Group 1 people to be hopeful (even though the hope often seems misguided), happy, ambitious quasi-narcissists (but is my perception of Group 1 and 2 people skewed because I’m a Group 2 person?).
            
Third-tier (I think that’s the lowest) academia trained me to be an analytical, critically thinking, socially-conscious human being, and for this I am grateful (pre-college my ideology was soaked in Protestant heteronormativity, Midwestern racism, and Coca-Cola). But in the process of aiding my intellectual and artistic growth, academia also trained me to be a staunch Group 2 person. It said, “You need to be analytical, and people who are truly analytical overanalyze [just in case regular analysis isn’t enough]. You need to be a critical thinker, and the best critical thinkers are those who most brutally criticize themselves and everything they hold dear. You need to be socially-conscious, and the people who are most conscious of others are unconscious of themselves.”
            
As much as I want to be a Group 1 person sometimes, I have recently realized that one of the most traumatizing parts of being a Group 2 person is that there is no going back (I don’t like the notion that going from Group 1 to Group 2, as Klosterman kind of alludes to, means going “forward”, while going from Group 2 to Group 1 means going “backward”). Once someone tells you that reality/life/the world is fractured, relativistic, and meaninglessly flawed, and you even remotely believe it (maybe because you have to get a good grade in a course or complete a certain advanced degree program), it seems impossible to coherently make sense of things like a Group 1 person. As a wise colleague of mine once said, “School [the heart/brain of Group 2 culture] teaches you many ways to take things apart, but it never teaches you how to put them back together again.”
            
I want a way to put things back together again. I think most Group 2 people who are happy being Group 2 people take a certain kind of joy in intellectual/political/social cacophony; they look at a box of scattered puzzle pieces and say, “So what? Maybe they weren’t meant to be put together.” I see the same puzzle pieces and say, “What’s the bigger picture?” Group 2 culture says there is no bigger picture, or that each piece is its own bigger picture, or that only Group 1 people search for a bigger picture because they’re too stupid/afraid/dependent-on-the-system to accept the individual pieces in all their random, incomplete glory. These ideas aren’t working for me any more than my childhood militant-Group-1 upbringing did [i.e, The scattered puzzle pieces aren’t actually scattered at all. They form a complete picture that you can’t see because you aren’t looking correctly or you misbehaved or you’ve been over-influenced by evil members of Group 2]. Group 2 culture took my peace of mind and I want it back (preferably without having to leave my small niche in Group 2; adapting to a Group 1/Group 2-hybrid could be even lonelier than living in Group 2).
           
In the end, I know that people can never be broken down into two simple groups (That’s too Group 1 of a thing to do. But does recognizing the flaws of dualism confirm my status as a member of Group 2?) Human beings always exist on a continuum of infinite possibilities, and this makes for infinite frustration as well as infinite potential. Hip-hop artist Mos Def was on point when he called his life a “beautiful mess.” But what do we do when we want to clean up the mess (even just a little)? Do we risk disrupting the beauty? And all of this gets me wondering: is there a Klosterman-numbered group for people who prefer hip-hop music to country and jazz?

No comments:

Post a Comment